Sunday, August 23, 2009
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Ok. So Cursive's latest effort, Mama, I'm Swollen, has been on the shelf for a couple of months now... But I feel as if everyone needs a reminder. When I heard that they were releasing a new album I was honestly a little skeptical. Many great artists that I have a lot of respect for have released some not so stellar albums in the past year.
Cursive, however, did not follow that trend.
Mama, I'm Swollen is easily front man, Tim Kasher's, best lyrical effort to date. He's always been great at weaving detailed, fairy tale-like stories into our current state of consciousness and at delivering heart stopping one-liners that stick with you all day. Kasher does not disappoint on this album. There are plenty of myspace taglines hiding throughout the album (guilty) as well as stories that are told so well you feel like you're there.
The whole album has a more mature, almost raw, feel in comparison to the bands previous release, Happy Hollow. The tracks range from songs about falling out of love, growing up, and seemingly their own career in music. The stand out tracks are the sultry song about sex vs love, "From The Hips", the driving yet somehow delicate song, "I Couldn't Love You Anymore", and the anguish filled song about Kasher's youth slipping away, "What Have I Done?" A more mature album for their now more mature fan base. At some points, I almost feel like Kasher penned a play-by-play of my life the past couple of years. But, I suppose thats the point.
I also was lucky enough to watch Cursive live at a local Sacramento venue, The Boardwalk. They were flawless live. I strongly recommend checking them out if they are ever in you're area.
Pick up Cursive's Mama, I'm Swollen. I can almost guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Monday, March 16, 2009
Thursday, March 5, 2009
3. a picture of you very drunk.
4. a picture of you on your birthday, or your favorite holiday.
5. the youngest picture you can find of yourself in digital form.
6. a picture of you in one of your favorite outfits.
7. a picture of you making a goofy face at the camera.
8. a picture you miiiiiight have edited to make yourself more attractive.
9. a picture of a night you regret...
10. a picture of you truly being yourself.
11. the most recent picture of you.
12. a picture of you being absolutely ridiculous.
13. a picture of you showing off a new haircut/color.
14. a picture of a time in your life that's over, but you wish it wasn't.
15. a picture of a time in your life that's over, and you couldn't be more thankful that it is...
16. a picture of you when you were anything but happy....
17. a picture of you when you were nothing but happy.....
18. a picture of you when you were a different person than you are now....
19. a picture of you with someone you love....
20. a picture of how you'd like the world to see you....
21. a picture that describes how you'd like to spend everyday...
22. a picture of a time when everything was changing...
23. a picture that makes your heart hurt....
24. a picture that makes your heart smile...
25. a picture of you on one of the best days/nights of your life....
26. a picture from your past....
27. a picture of your present....
28. a picture of your future....
29. a picture you couldnt leave out....
30. a picture of just you...
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
this isn't the first time you've been fucked over and it won't be the last.
is it worth loosing everything over?
are THEY worth loosing everything over?
take a break.
use the next 20 days to relax and take some time for yourself.
then take the world by storm
it's the only destiny you've ever known.
you are better than this
you are stronger than this
everyone around you believes that, it's time for you to believe it too.
they just fucked themselves...
...not your problem anymore, not your concern anymore, not your worry anymore
one blow after another the past 3 years....
even worse the past 3 months.
but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger
focus on the positive today and everyday.
learn to love life again.
with, or without him in it.
you can do it.
Monday, January 19, 2009
there's no evidence of anything like it yet,
we imagined it me and my friends would get by
(pay the check, sneak back and call it a night)
Afraid to make a mistake?
don't you know i do it for a living?
i'm told it takes a toll but it's so unremitting
but as long as you leave me alone,
i promise i'll call and it won't be long.
(and you won't know why)
i know that i could leave everything, you never expressed to me any sort of idea that we'd grown apart. i'll go back and collect my belongings the rest will fit fine in my car. Secrets that nobody knows about, changes that hurt to let go.
It's my black eye swollen shut from tonight,
it looks bad but the pain has been dulled
do you mind if i sleep on your floor tonight?
i'll be gone in the morning
it's me, you'll forget that i'd come.
i could barely breathe
i was sucking air out of my crushed lungs
we were flying so fast down the road and i stretch my limbs on the floor of my house
i'd forgot we'd been here alone.
Trains bround us to the city when we were young we passed the country it was electric green and it spread apart tell me what nobody knows about. A hug and a smile and I'll see you soon, we were just passengers all along making our way to get by
I'll see you still,
we could be on our own.
I wanted the truth as simple as you could give it to me right now.
And still in the end,
it's good to hear your voice on my telephone.
I'll travel across the country and still end up on your front steps
the way that we first met...
I'm sorry I'm so